As an account manager, a typical day consists of the following:
All staff meetings, sales meetings, promotions meetings, face to face client meetings… one on one manager meetings, client lunch meetings… and the list goes on and on and on.
Look, we are all granted an equal 24 hour playing field, so why is it that some of us are frantically running through life (typically 10 minutes late) with our hair on fire? While others appear to have it all under control. The difference is both having, and working a well-crafted plan. We're talking time management.
To help you take control of your day, here are 5 quick tips to help you get time on your side.
- Start the day with your daily “to do” list. Not your email inbox.
- Remember the 80/20 rule. 20% of all activity will produce 80% of your results. For example, setting an hour or two each week devoted to new business prospecting will net big results.
- Set daily appointments with yourself. Example: Tuesday & Thursday, 9am-10am new business calls (phone and email).
- Close out each day by assessing your achievements. There will be days that you control the day, there will others that control you. Recognize this and make the appropriate adjustments.
- Finally! Set up some “YOU TIME”. Take time to Read, Study and Grow. Remember knowledge is power!
Bonus Tip: As a rule of thumb, if you are sitting at your desk from roughly 10:30am until 3:30pm. You are wasting prime time. You’ll experience a much greater R.O.I. sitting in front of a current or potential customer, than your laptop.
That’s it for this month, I’m out of time. Good selling!